FTE - Client
Under minimal supervision, the Senior Systems Engineer leads the Engineering practice with a focus on optimizing the delivery of infrastructure platforms, automated pipelines and robust feedback systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluates functional and technical business requirements and transforms requirements into complex infrastructure solutions. Identify improvements to the process for gathering and documenting requirements. Implements consistent delivery of requirements across all deployed systems.
- Leverage knowledge gained from a broad experience with servers, operating systems, databases, applications and networking to design platforms that meet functional and technical requirements. Advises junior system engineers
- Design and develop highly available and scalable platforms with concentration on automating all phases of the build process using scripting languages, software development and automation platforms.
- Design and develop more complex build and deployment platforms with concentration on automated CI/CD pipelines. Evaluate the recommendations made by junior engineers.
- Advise and support junior engineers and product teams in building and operating CI/CD pipelines. Implement more complex solutions. Evaluate the recommendations made by levels one and two system engineers.
- Participate in defining the infrastructure development lifecycle and collaborating to continuously improve the practice. Enable the infrastructure development lifecycle by mentoring junior engineers.
- Communicate with stakeholders to assist in the adoption of the CI/CD pipeline methodology. Collaboratively define the Engineering CI/CD practice.
- Design and develop monitoring, discovery, reporting, alerting, and analytics systems and tools. Collaborate with SRE and monitoring teams.
- Design, develop and support improvements to the value stream as a result of the feedback gathered from monitoring.
- Collaborate with product teams, operations management and stakeholders to optimize system feedback. Mentors junior engineers.
- Utilize a broader range of sources to identify opportunities that improve our system capabilities; including industry trends, research organizations, user groups, and technical conferences.
- Create a safe atmosphere for testing ideas. Coordinate across teams to quickly develop concepts and participate in evaluating results. Influence teams that are developing and/or testing an innovation. Make recommendations for improvements.
- Complete work in a timely and accurate manner while providing exceptional customer service.
- Mentor and coach Systems Engineer Level I and II.
- This position requires a minimum of five years Systems Engineer experience with hands on experience in infrastructure design, automation and administration.
- Broad technical and practical skills with common infrastructure systems including but not limited to: Amazon Web Services, Linux, Microsoft Windows Server, Virtualization/VMware, Server Clustering, MS Active Directory, Enterprise backup, Storage, MS SQL Server, server hardware, Network Protocols, DNS/DHCP, general networking concepts
- Proven, specialized expertise in multiple technologies including but not limited to: networking (security, routing and switching, voice, etc), common web stacks, data center infrastructure, monitoring, CI/CD pipeline development, and infrastructure automation
- Proficient in building complex CI/CD pipelines with automated build tools including Atlassian, Jenkins, Chef, Microsoft SCCM/DSC and AWS CloudFormation
- Ability to build professional relationships with cross functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability of excellent communication across all levels of the organization, interpersonal and customer service skills, including the ability to write in a clear and concise manner.
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft office, including skills with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio is necessary.
- Ability to identify complex problems, review information to develop and evaluate options, then implement solutions is essential.
- Ability to influence and provide consistent results across all levels of the organization is imperative.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and accurately under pressure, meet deadlines, present a professional demeanor and work well independently is essential.
- Organizational and problem-solving skills, a can-do attitude, and the ability to adjust to changing requirements are essential.
- Proven customer service skills including the ability to manage and respond to different organizational situations while maintaining a positive and friendly attitude is essential.
- Proven ability to work efficiently and accurately under pressure, meet deadlines and present a professional demeanor is essential
- Maintaining confidentiality, treating others with respect and upholding company values are key attributes.
- Working knowledge of the software development lifecycle (SDLC).
This position requires a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
Industry certifications preferred