The Business Designer is tasked with blending business strategy and creativity in the pursuit of new products and businesses.
Maintaining awareness of trends and activities in the broader healthcare ecosystem that may inform commercialization opportunities. Identification, discovery, and definition of opportunities and unmet needs through activities including: Conducting market research, landscape mapping, and trend analysis. Performing in-depth interviews and user research. Constructing user and customer journey maps. Synthesizing insights across research strategies. Developing and articulating an evidence-based perspective on effective business models for a potential opportunity. Representing the business lens when, in collaboration with colleagues, informing an assessment of an opportunity’s 'desirability, viability, and feasibility’
Design of potential new products or businesses through activities including: Researching and understanding the business models and strategies of incumbents and potential competitors. Contributing to and participating in ongoing user research. Translating the unmet needs of users and stakeholders into business design and strategy criteria. Ideating and iterating on solution concepts. Drafting, testing with stakeholders, and refining business models. Developing and refining growth and financial projections with evidence. Representing the business lens when, in collaboration with colleagues, re-evaluating assessment of an opportunity’s 'desirability, viability, and feasibility’. Contributing to the development of leading indicator business success metrics.
Supporting the development of new products or businesses through activities including: Participating in ongoing user research to develop qualitative and quantitative evidence aimed at informing success metrics. Driving further testing and iteration of the business model through engagement with users and customers. Refining growth and financial projections. Supporting the creation of prototype and MVP solution concepts. Conducting knowledge transfer activities focused on the business case with colleagues and partners.
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
Experience: 5 years of industry experience in some combination of business design and/or healthcare roles
- Master's degree in a business or health-related discipline
- Former entrepreneur (i.e. experience leading early-stage or growth business)
- Additional graduate experience (MBA, PhD) in a business or health-related discipline
- Previous role at a business strategy and/or design firm with a focus on new product or business creation
- Experience with business operations or data science
- Understanding of the healthcare ecosystem including the healthcare regulatory and policy landscapes
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Previous responsibility for business model or business plan development,
- Previous responsibility for financial planning and analysis,
- Experience with product design and development, particularly related to healthcare service and technology solutions,
- Experience working collaboratively with product and solution designers,
- Excellent planning, coordination, and execution skills,
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate about projects with internal and external stakeholders,