Reporting to the Senior Manager of Enterprise Infrastructure, the Middleware Engineer will be a key member of the team to support the lifecycle and maintenance of enterprise middleware platforms. The Middleware Engineer understands the business needs, providing and implementing advanced design in the development of enterprise middleware platforms for applications / systems, technical processes, and performing necessary activities to complete major projects such as cost estimation, RFP, solution testing and deployment. The Middleware engineer will work with / manage external technology vendors, System Integrators (SI), service providers and internal IT groups and business units for projects and initiatives.
1. Key Accountabilities/Duties
- Build, implement and maintain robust solutions for middleware products to meet business demands including performance tuning, upgrades, clustering, redundancy and disaster recovery
- Provide subject matter expertise, and represents the highest level of technical escalation for middleware technologies.
- Consult with and serve as liaison for end users and application developers in the support of mission critical applications.
- Ensure appropriate standards and procedures are adhered to, and develop and implement standards for installation, maintenance and enhancement of middleware platforms to support quality deliverables
- Clearly articulate design trade-offs of availability, performance, interoperability and costs to both technical and executive audiences in regard to middleware
- Provide guidance and cross training to other members on the team
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in electrical, electronic, or computer engineering, computer science, or related field.
- 8+ years’ experience in a production IT environment managing enterprise IT
- Experience in executing projects, including planning and implementing short and long term work plans and successfully completing projects on schedule.
- Minimum 4 years in managing JEE application servers
- Minimum 4 years’ experience of any of the following Linux / Unix platforms: RHEL / Solaris / AIX
- Experience with application and middleware performance tuning, capacity planning and reporting.
- Practical experience troubleshooting infrastructure and middleware problems.
- Experience in managing and dealing with third party system integrators and solution providers
- Experience working with clustered systems and high availability systems
- Proven experience with IT Support Operations and processes
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Good project management skills
- Experience with leading and managing a team to deliver results
- Good communications and interpersonal skills
- Good time management and organisational skills.
- Good technical documentation skills
- Highly motivated and ability to work independently to deliver results
- Strong interest in learning and continuous improvement
- Ability to perform individually and in a team
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Creative and adaptive to change.
Capability to work with people in different time zones.